PDA

View Full Version : Pathloss Coverage and Mapinfo

Peter
07-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi

I am using Pathloss to build coverage predictions and then am exporting MIF files for subsequent import into MapInfo.

This allows display of the coverage with overlay of roads, towns and other vector based geographical features.

I have been having problems with this though.

For a start MapInfo has a maximum object limit which is exceeded for large area predictions over rough terrain. This is because the export to MIF from Pathloss is reasonably primative, with a separate object for each radial and also if that radial gets broken by a terrain obstruction.

So I've had to do predictions in up to 8 arcs and then join them all up in MapInfo after export/import at times.

Once joined I've had some initial success with succesive disaggregation and then reaggregation of the regions objects, but have found this to be of quite limited use when rough terrain is involved. There's still too many objects.

Has anyone else had problems like this before?

The ideal would be to turn the MIF into a classified grid for VerticalMapper (which runs with Mapinfo). As it is, vertical mapper is of very little use to me because the built in Region to Grid conversion is crap. (The manual even states this, although not quite in that language.)

If you can put me in touch with anyone who might have a seen or dealt with a similar problem I'd be most appreciative.

Another alternative to this problem is just run low resolution predictions, but this creates another problem: Pathloss writes higher signal pixels over lower signals ones, hence gives an over optimistic version of coverage.

Regards
Peter

BobH
07-22-2005, 06:35 AM
For some years i have been using PathLoss 4 and an old version of MapInfo (Ver4.1.2) and thought that it was only these earlier versions of MapInfo that could not handle the size of the PL4 generated files. I was informed that the early versions of MapInfo could only handle 32k polygons but the later versions had no such limit. Unfortunately i cannot cost justify purchasing a new version of MapInfo.
If you find a solution I would be eager to know.

BobH

JohnH
07-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Peter, I was interested in your posting regarding the interworking of Pathloss 4 and MapInfo. I am relatively new to Pathloss 4 and was wondering which product from MapInfo you are using for your coverage predictions as MapInfo offers several different products. Can you advise?

Tnx,
JohnH

Peter C
08-07-2005, 10:44 PM
As far as I'm aware the 32k polygon limit still applies.

I'm running Mapinfo v7.8 release build 33 with Vertical Mapper v3.1.

Regards
Peter